Floating City Seastead
The Floating City Seastead is one type of Seastead. Key idea is that if many people go together on a single large structure it should be big enough to handle large waves.
Arguments In Favor
- See also High Road.
- There is also a community of people so it is easier to have specialized jobs and social interaction.
- There are probably economies of scale in Internet access, power production, water filtration, and other systems.
- It is sort of like an oil platform which people know how to build.
- Higher initial investment than some other types of seastead, not very incremental.
- A 200 person community needs to have some rules and procedures. Could end up like a land democracy. The wrong rules could cause the venture to fail.
- Easier for existing governments to put pressure on a large seastead than lots of small ones run by different people and spread out.
- Hard for subsets of population to do dynamic geography if it is one big structure.
- Floating oil platforms usually get their stability from tension legs that tie them to the bottom. If a seastead is not doing this it is different from the normal oil platform.