The page for conference participants is FirstAnnualConference
- October 10th, 2008
- Embassy Suites in Burlingame, CA.
- Flyer (PDF)
- Main conference: On meetup.com.
- Optional Saturday kayaking
- Optional Saturday dinner on Forbes Island
We have conference rooms booked at the Embassy Suites Hotel SFO, with space for up to 200 people. We can expand that if we get more (which seems unlikely). The hotel is really nice, it's right on the bay with a view of the SFO runways across the water, and has a nice atrium / bar / restaurant area. It is walking distance from a couple of other hotels that are probably cheaper, for budget-conscious attendees. There is also a park (Anza Lagoon right next to the hotel.)
|Hotel||Rates||Discount Code||SFO Shuttle|
|Embassy Suites Hotel SFO||$130-$290||60Z (~15%)||Yes|
|Red Roof Inn||$90-$110||No||Yes|
|Doubletree Hotel SFO||$140-390||No||Yes|
Note: For the discount code, it is called a "group code" or "convention code" on the Embassy Suites Hotel Reservation page. 25 rooms are currently blocked off. These rooms are automatically returned to the room pool 14 days before the event. If you have any troubles, please call your local Embassy Suites reservation line and let them figure it all out. In the US, the Embassy Suites reservation line is 1-800-362-2779.
The hotel will supply food - hors d' oeuvres for a reception on Thu. night, then on Friday snacks & caffeine (morning, midmorning, midafternoon), lunch, and dinner. Post-reception thu night, and post-dinner friday night we can hang out at the hotel bar. The food is expensive, but that's how they make their money, so I don't think we have much choice about using their food (the conference rooms are fairly cheap). The food schedule is:
- Hors d' oevres in the evening (reception)
- Morning break
- Lunch - Embassy Deli Buffet
- Afternoon break
- Dinner- Embassy Royale
- On your own
Mike Doty will bring two projectors, as rental is expensive. The hotel will supply WiFi.
An opening talk by Patri, and a bunch of workshops.
See Google Spreadsheet: http://spreadsheets.google.com/a/seasteading.org/ccc?key=pxQIdumbCC4jWgs-TwVywGQ&hl=en
- Post flyers on local college campuses (Stanford, Berkeley, SCU, UCSF...)
- Bring a library of related books, so people can read/learn during the conference. (Patri has many such books)
- Have a useful basic set of tools/materials for experimenting with physical designs.
- Have ocean sounds playing quietly in the background entire time, to set theme.
Where to send releases
Mark when sent. Add your name for ones you will take on.
- Standard media PR sources
- PR Newswire
- Blogs (that we can post on)
Seasteading.org blog (Patri) Patri's personal blog (Patri) Crasch's blog (Chris)
- Blogs (to notify)
Instapundit (Chris) Marginal Revolution (Chris) Flutterby.com (Chris) Cafe Hayek (Chris) Econlog (Chris) Slashdot (Chris) Free State Project forums (Chris)
- Newmark's Door
- Mailing lists
nation-builders@yahoo (Patri) libertarian-nation@yahoo (Patri) libertarian-island@yahoo (Patri) transtopia@yahoo (Patri) FOME (Patri) floatingman island tribe http://www.floatingman.org/index.php?page=Home BA Futurists (Chris) LA Futurists (Chris) ferrocement (Chris) vandwelling (Chris)
- Bay Area boating lists/meetups
Craigslist Events (Chris) http://www.sfsailing.com Calendar (Chris) Yahoo Upcoming (Chris) Ron Paul Forums (Chris) ca-liberty (mailing list for California libertarians (Chris) ba-liberty (mailing list Bay Area libertarians (Chris)
- Boat design forum
- College libertarians
Free State Project forums (Chris)
- Free State Project Regional lists
- regional Burning Man lists(Andrea)
Mechanical, Aeronautical, Ocean engineering departments at Stanford, Berkeley, SJ State(Andrea) Golden Gate Objectivists (Chris) libertarians (college libertarians at Stanford, Berkeley, SJ State, etc)(Andrea) Regional Ron Paul supporters (for this group ask permission before posting, as they may not want anything other than ** Ron Paul(Andrea)-sent email to webmaster extropy-chat (Chris)
- Spiral Island forums
- Maker Faire lists/forums
- Magazines (lead time is too long, I think, for them to be useful). Lead time is too long for publicity, but maybe we should invite them for subsequent publicity, following conference.)
- Radio shows?
- TV shows?