From Seasteading
Revision as of 04:25, 20 September 2009 by Tkines (talk | contribs) (Construction)
Jump to: navigation, search


Ahoy maties! We're building an impractical 3-sided platform (now with crow's nest)! This page documents our progress.

Designer: Kipp McMichael

Builders: Kipp McMichael, Trea Kines, Jean-Claude Breach

Inhabitants: Kipp, Trea and Miguel Sanchez (comin from Alabamie with a banjo on his knee)

UPDATE: We done got granted! Thanks to the sponsors of Ephemerisle for giving us some cash to help pay for the platform. Their help is allowing us to build an even better platform than we originally proposed.


Notes: We realized after submitting our proposal that we probly over-planned some of the platform. The main beams likely didn't need to be 4-ply - so we are reducing the wood used to build the platform. Trea also had the bright idea to build a crow's nest too so we have a little perspective on the festival.


Home Depot is our friend: cheap wood, cheap PVC pipe, cheap fasteners, and cheap powertools!

Ebay and the internet are also our friend:

  • We were able to get the exercise balls for $10 a piece. And they're all a cool shiny graphite color.
  • We were able to source the PVC fittings online for about 1/3 the price of our local hardware store.
  • Artwork aids in the form of blacklight LEDs and batteries for nighttime fun.


Day 1 - Sept 12: Jean Claude and Kipp start the platform and the buoyancy cubes (Trea had the good sense to be on vacation)

So we got the 2"x6"x16' boards for the main struts of the platform as well as the PVC necessary to build the cubes that will hold our buoyancy exercise balls captive. So day 1 involved drilling and bolting the 12 boards into 3 struts and cutting 144 PVC segments.

Day 2 - Sept 19: Trea and Kipp continue construction on the platform, and try to finalize plans for the crow's nest

Today we learned to love the miter saw. Kipp showed up this morning with a truck full of 2x4's and we were able to get the entire wooden structure of the platform measured, cut, placed, and labeled. We only screwed pieces together that we needed to be in place for measuring. This keeps us from having to reuse screw holes later, when we assemble the raft at the Delta.

We placed everything where it will go, labeled every piece of wood, and pretty much finalized the plans for the crow's nest. We're still trying to decide how high we can build it, but we have the basic idea. Here are some pictures from today's progress.